GTMS School Attendance Policy
Not only is attendance required by Virginia state law, regular and prompt attendance boosts academic success and prepares students for future employment.
Research shows that a student must work twice as hard when they return to school to catch up on missed assignments and homework. A student who is 10 minutes late everyday misses 30 hours of instruction during the year.
IWCS Attendance Policy
Some reasons for excused absences are:
- Illness supported by a doctor’s certificate or note
- Notes from parents must be approved by the principal
- Court appearances supported by copy of court order
- Severe illness or death in the immediate family
- Observances of recognized religious holidays
- Field trips and school-related activities
- Contagious disease
- Extremely inclement weather
- Absences due to extenuating circumstances approved by the principal